About the job
Merchant Taylors’ School is a large Independent Boys’ School, situated in 286 acres of parkland in Northwood, Middlesex. The School was founded in 1561, is owned by the Merchant Taylors’ Educational Trust and moved to its present site in 1933. There are four distinct boys’ day schools on campus. The Nursery, the Pre-Prep & the Prep cater for 340 boys, while the Senior School has some 930 pupils. The School employs over 140 teachers and 160 Support staff across Merchant Taylors’ School.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- General administrative and secretarial support as requested by members of the Music department. Day-to-day correspondence and enquiries.
- Preparation of termly Music calendars and publicity information about the Music department, as required by the Director of Music.
- Making arrangements for concerts and music events at MTS and elsewhere, including producing publicity and programmes, organising catering needs including completing catering requests for all applicable events at MTS, and booking travel.
- Ordering music and other equipment for the Music department as required by the Director of Music, as well as on behalf of pupils at the request of VMTs.
- Minuting the weekly Music department meetings.
- Maintaining the Music department accounts record, and compiling termly billing lists.
- Keeping the Music department noticeboards up to date.
- Liaising with the Graduate Musician to ensure that the orchestral and choral music library catalogues are properly maintained.
- Overseeing the administration of applications for instrumental and singing music lessons for all new boys, including those applying for Music Scholarships.
- Liaising with parents and VMTs to arrange instrumental and singing lessons as requested.
- Sharing records of music lesson timetables and corresponding completed registers with the Director of Studies on a weekly basis.
- Liaising with VMTs to prepare timetables, ensuring that timetables and registers are kept up to date.
- Liaising with VMTs with regard to deadlines for Instrumental and Singing Music Reports, and collating these Reports for proof-reading.
- Ensuring that VMTs are compliant with the required Safeguarding and other training as instructed by the School’s Safeguarding Leads.
- Ensuring that VMTs are kept informed of the MTS Calendar.
- Maintaining the database of boys taking instrumental and singing lessons, and the inventories of School instruments and Music department lockers.
- Preparing the termly ABRSM practical exam entry, timetables and results.
- Assisting Music staff (including VMTs where relevant) in the maintenance of registers for choral and instrumental ensembles.
- Attending/supporting Music events at MTS and elsewhere, including evening concerts, trips and occasional weekend events such as Scholarship Mornings and Open Mornings, as required by the Director of Music.
- Assisting in the organisation of Music Tours, in consultation with the Director of Music, and liaising with parents, boys and tour companies.
- Liaising with the Events Office regarding audience booking for Music events, including organising ticketing through Try Booking via the MTS website.
- Writing and updating Risk Assessments for Music events at MTS and elsewhere.
- Ensuring the safety of boys and staff by acting as Fire Warden for the Music department.
Other duties as required by members of the Music department.