About the job
JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- To provide effective individual and/or group tuition in his/ her first study instrument during the academic year.
- To contribute to a student’s assessment via a written report, submitted at the end of each term
- To prepare students for practical examinations involving performance assessments
- To prepare students for performances and to ensure all pupils perform regularly throughout the calendar year
- To advise the Director of Music on instrument specific issues as applicable to a student’s academic recital programme
- To engage in School concerts and performances as requested by the Director of Music both on and off the School premises.
- Take reasonable care of health and safety of self, other people and resources whilst at work to comply with the School’s health and safety policy, procedures and local rules
- Any other duties as reasonably directed by the Director of Music.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Effective instrumental/ vocal skills as musical practitioner
- Appropriate interpersonal skills
- Ability to conduct assessment of student work against a range of criteria
- First degree in music, or music performance, or an equivalent performing profile as appropriate
- Extensive knowledge of instrumental/vocal pedagogy
- Understanding the transmitting of skill-based instrumental/vocal training
- Knowledge of examination syllabi and processes
- A profile as instrumental/vocal tutor at secondary level
- An evident concern for students and their learning development
- Able to direct and respond to students
- Good team worker
- Able to adopt a range of teaching strategies to cater for different learning styles
- Smart appearance and professional conduct. Desirable
- A profile as an active performer
- A Higher degree
- Track record of and/or potential for engaging in performer-practitioner activities
- Understanding of the current nature of teaching and learning in Secondary education
- This is not an exclusive list of duties but gives an indication of the level of ability required.
- All staff will be expected to undertake relevant training and may be required to update their skills.